Skip to main content

Dreamers

Don’t give me that “law of the land” shit when it comes to Dreamers. The laws of the land were meant to evolve. I know that this can be hard for people who haven’t actually evolved themselves to understand, but the law of the land also used to say that women weren’t allowed to vote and that black people were three fifths of a white person. That gay people suffered from a mental illness and needed to be locked up. Laws change every day, as we should all be very well aware of, considering that Trump walked back the law which required government contracted employers to disclose labor law violations, including wage theft, unsafe working conditions and hiring discrimination. I will bet you money that particular “law of the land” slipped right past you.
I will also bet you money that when 𝘺𝘰𝘢𝘳 𝘒𝘯𝘀𝘦𝘴𝘡𝘰𝘳𝘴 came to United States, they let in any fucking riff-raff that washed up on the shore. Trump’s brothel-owning grandfather is a nice example. These days, you have to wait a year to get an opportunity to even enter U.S., never mind the fact that most people bitching about immigrants (legal or illegal) couldn’t pass a citizenship test if their lives depended on it. 
Those who were brought into this country π˜ͺ𝘭𝘭𝘦𝘨𝘒𝘭𝘺 at the age of three, or seven, or fourteen, didn’t choose to leave their country. I know that I, (having entered 𝘭𝘦𝘨𝘒𝘭𝘭𝘺 at 14), sure as fuck didn’t have a choice whether I wanted to leave my country or not. And trust me, faced with my old country’s 46% unemployment and dirt poor conditions, I still find myself thinking that I’d much rather be there than here. We were at least advanced enough not to punish children for the crimes of their parents. We bothered to get the facts before forming opinions. And we were capable of shame, which seems a concept that most people in U.S. can’t comprehend. 
So sorry these children didn’t just sit under the stairs for the next 20 years of their life, waiting for you to pass judgment on whether they can stay in the country or not. Instead they went to college and entered the work force, paying out an average 12 billion dollars in taxes a year. Apparently 200 years of π˜ͺ𝘭𝘭𝘦𝘨𝘒𝘭 immigrants building this country with their blood, sweat, tears, and 𝘡𝘒𝘹𝘦𝘴 was somehow omitted from your college educations. 
Honestly, I’m starting to wonder why these Dreamers are even fighting to stay in this country. Chances are, their country of birth has universal health care, actual paid maternity leave, better education, and presidents who don’t cause second-hand embarrassment every time they open their mouths. Why stay in a country that has effectively regressed to the developing nation status? I’m sure their countries of birth would love to have the doctors, engineers, and scientists that the Dreamers have become, and I’m pretty certain by this point, that the U.S. doesn’t π˜₯𝘦𝘴𝘦𝘳𝘷𝘦 to have them.

Comments